• 750 grams plain flour
• Warm water
• 1 tsp sugar
• Salt to taste
• Ghee or vegetables oil
1. In a bowl add 750 grams plain flour, 1tsp of sugar and salt and mix well. Add 4tbsp of melted ghee or vegetable oil. Make sure the ghee has cooled down before adding it to the flour.
2. Mix well to make sure there are no lumps left, you can use hands or mixer. The easiest way that i use to get rid of the lumps is to sift the flour after mixing it with ghee. Use your hands and break all the lumps while sifting.
3. Start adding warm water bit by bit while mixing until the dough is formed. Be generous on the amount of water to avoid the dough from being too dry or too sticky.
4. The dough should be a little bit sticky.
5. Apply 1tbsp of ghee/ oil on your hands and knead for 1 minute without putting too much pressure (This is optional)
6. Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a plastic foil and leave it in a warm place for 2-3 hours. You can place it in an unswitched microwave or oven.
8. After 2 hours the dough should be soft and ready for further steps.
9. Cut the dough into 6-8 equal small parts, and make them round. I usually get 5 equal small doughs in a half kilo of flour gives and 10 in a kilo.
10. Cover and leave them rest for 15-30 minutes. This helps to make the dough easier when rolling it out.
11. Roll out each dough to a round shape and apply oil/ghee ontop.
12. To make layers, fold the rolled dough and fold it using both hands to make a line like shape. Place them in a work surface. Take the first dough you rolled out and create a coil like a shape.
13. Let them stay for another 15-30 minutes.
14. On a work surface, sprinkle some flour and start rolling your coiled shape dough dependsm on the size you like.
15. Place the rolled-out chapatti on a hot pan and cook on medium heat for 1-2 minute before flipping the other side. Make sure the heat is not too low or too high. Once the first side is cooked, flip the other side.
17. Cook for another 1 minute (use a spatula to put a little pressure on top). Once the other side is cooked add 1 tbsp. of ghee or ½ tbsp. of oil.
18. Once the other side is done flip back into original side and cook for another 10 seconds.
19. Ready to serve with curry, vegetables or tea.